Located at 180 Marine Street in downtown St. Augustine — Phone Number: 904-209-3648
COA’s Care Connection is 100% donor funded and almost completely volunteer-run program that is designed to help independent older adults meet & manage the more challenging demands of everyday life. Care Connection is a vital program, as it fills the gap between services that are funded by the government and the needs of the older adults in our county. While these services aren’t government funded, they are critical and necessary for our seniors to be able to safely remain happy, healthy and independent in their own homes.
Our team of volunteers can:
- Assist with monthly budgeting
- Help with minor home repairs
- Take care of basic lawn maintenance
- Install assistive devices like wheelchair ramps & grab bars
- Make referrals to other agencies
- Manage donation collection and distribution
- Assist with accessing services and benefits for those in need
Please call (904) 209-3648 to learn more about the COA Care Connection program.
Make the Care Connection!
Do you need help?
Do you find it difficult to make ends meet? Are you in need of some help with the cost of groceries or healthcare? You are not alone. Did you know there may be help available for you?
Many seniors qualify for—but are not yet enrolled in—benefit programs that could help them pay for prescriptions, medical care, and food.
The COA can help you determine if you are eligible, and apply for additional benefits. For more information please call Care Connection at 904-209-3649 or visit the Care Connection office Monday—Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. A volunteer will help you apply and find the resources you need, either through Care Connection or another community organization.
Eligible seniors are at least 60 years of age; other qualifications may apply.
Help is provided on an “as available” basis.
Care Connection links seniors who need help with resources and volunteers that provide it. Care Connection is staffed by one part-time employee who manages all of the scheduling of activities happening within the department. Every one else involved in Care Connection is a dedicated volunteer.
Our volunteers know the value of the work they do and the impact on the lives of those they serve.
Some of our dedicated hard-working Care Connection volunteer groups include:
- Cutters and Clippers — A team that handles basic lawn care for the entire county.
- Wheelchair Ramp/Accessibility Team — a group of men and women who help make it possible for homebound seniors to get in and out of their homes, as well as around inside their homes safely and with dignity by building wheelchair ramps, installing grab bars and doing small home repairs.
- Donations/Support Team — this group of in-house volunteers assists by providing donated items to those in need, assisting with budgeting, helping pay utility bills, and signing seniors up for SNAP and other beneficial programs.
Donate Items to Care Connection
The following donations are always needed and welcomed:
- Assistive devices such as walkers, wheelchairs, magnifiers, and accessibility & safety equipment
- Pet food
- Your time: in our office or in client homes
Did you know…
If you are looking for a way to help build comradery among your employees while giving back to the community, we have the perfect fit for you. Care Connection offers opportunities for corporate sponsored teambuilding events.
Whether it is building ramps, painting home interiors, minor home repairs or cutting lawns, Care Connection can setup an amazing teambuilding experience for you and your team.
E-HEAP Energy Assistance Available
60 or over? Low income? Need Assistance paying an overdue power bill?
The Emergency Home Energy Assistance Program (EHEAP) has funds to help qualified St. Johns County Seniors with past due energy bills. If you have a “Past Due” or “Final” Notice from FPL or Beaches Energy, or your household HVAC system is inoperable, COA may be able to help!
To qualify for EHEAP, you must be:
- A resident of St. Johns County
- Age 60 or older
- Currently earning less than:
- $19,140 per year for a single individual
- $25,860 per year for a household of 2
- Add $6,720 for each additional household member
Please call COA Care Connection for more information and to help determine your eligibility at 904-209-3649. Applications are currently being taken by phone and all required documentation may be submitted by either postal mail, email or dropped in a lockbox at the COA at 180 Marine Street, St Augustine, FL 32084.
If you are determined to be eligible for E-HEAP assistance, we will need to receive copies of the following documents from you. The document copies can either be mailed to Michael Large at COA, 180 Marine St., St. Augustine, FL 32084, or delivered to his attention at the secure drop box outside of the West Entrance of COA’s offices at 180 Marine St., St. Augustine. If you cannot make copies, COA will return all original documents by mail to you. Documents may also be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions or need assistance, please call 904-209-3649.
Photocopies of the following documents are required for EVERYONE in the home. We cannot process applications without this information:
- Current FL Driver’s License or FL State ID card for ALL adults
- Address on ID must match the service address on the utility bill to prove residency
- Social Security Cards for ALL household members
- Birth Certificates for all Minors (Anyone under the age of 18)
- Proof of All Household Income (Gross Amount). Must be CURRENT and OFFICIAL; bank statements are not acceptable. Sources of income may include but are not limited to any or all of the following:
- SSA, SSDI & SSI
- Pension or other retirement funds
- Paystubs – Proof of the last 30 days of income
- Alimony/ Child Support
- State Benefits such as TANF
- Any household member claiming zero income must sign a statement that they currently have no verifiable income
- Statement must include the household member’s Name, Address, Date of Birth and Social Security Number
- Food Stamp approval letter, if applicable. Must be current
- Proof of home ownership or rental/lease agreement
- Past Due or Final Notice